Friday, June 5, 2009

Playing with Gmail . . .

In my effort to separate my geeky side from my personal life, i created a new gmail account ... (the one i used for this blog...hehehe --- sorry i'm not a "LOL" fan), which I intend to use for signing up in membership sites, etc. But soon i realized that managing two separate gmail accounts will be tiresome for me and much more waste my limited time.

So, i decided to experiment and explore the features of gmail (which google engineers have stuffed with cool and helpful functionalities).

1. Email forwarding
In the first hand, i want to receive all my emails (from both gmail accounts) in my new gmail account. Good thing is, gmail is already equipped with mail forwarding. What did I do??? First, i logged-in to my old gmail account, clicked on Settings (its in the upper right portion of any page... heheheh),
just selected Forward a copy of incoming mail to, then I typed my new email in the textbox, and selected "keep Gmail's copy in the inbox". And there I have it, I can now receive all my emails in my new gmail account.

2. Replying emails sent to different accounts from my new email
The next thing I want to achieve is reply emails sent to my old account using my new account, but with my old account reflected as the sending email. Good thing, gmail has feature in place...
Steps:
  1. Log in to your old gmail account
  2. Click Settings (its in the upper right portion of the page... remember??)
  3. Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.
  4. A new window will pop-up, in the Name field, enter your full name or any name you want to use.
  5. In the Email address field, enter the email address you'd like to send from (that is, my old account in my case).
  6. You can specify a different reply-to address if you want
  7. Proceed to next step, then you can send the verification email. (You can enter the confirmation code here once you received it in your old email)
  8. Open your other account (that is, the old account) and either click the link in the message Gmail sent or enter the confirmation code in the window.
  9. That's it.
I think that sums up my playtime with gmail. Next time I will explore labels and filters in gmail.

No comments:

Post a Comment