Wednesday, June 10, 2009

GD library and mod_rewrite issue in Fedora Core 10 (with file permission issues on htaccess and _config.php)

GD Library not Installed:

Lately, I was trying to install silverstripe CMS in my local machine. I have this warning that GD library is not enabled. The simplest thing to do to solve this problem is install GD. Good thing I about fedora core 10 is I no longer have to go to the terminal for simple install/uninstall. So, I just click on System->Add remove Software, then type GD in the search box of the window that appeared.

I just checked(selected) "A module for PHP Applications using GD" , then clicked apply. The installer then will do the rest for you like checking for dependencies, downloading etc.

Then, go to System->Services then restart httpd. Then GD should be installed in your system by now.

Enable Mod_rewrite in Fedora Core 10
Aside from the GD library problem, I encountered also another problem during my Silverstripe installation.

"Friendly URLs are not working. This is most likely because mod_rewrite isn't configuredcorrectly on your site. Please check the following things in your Apache configuration; you may need to get your web host or server administrator to do this for you:
  • mod_rewrite is enabled
  • AllowOverride All is set for your directory"
To solve this problem, I have to edit the httpd.conf file. In FC10, it is located in /etc/httdp/conf folder.
edit the httpd.conf file using vi, nano or gedit or any text editor of your choice.
Then, remove the # sign in
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so line.
Then change
AllowOverride None to AllowOverride All
Then don't forget to restart the httpd service.

After solving those problems, I then have a working silverstripe installation in my box. Now, I'm off to exploring silverstripe CMS.....

* If you are having issues on .htaccess and _config.php files, like you have to make it writeable. Then after chmod 777 you still get the same warning, one quick solution to that is set SELinux to permissive.

No comments:

Post a Comment